Match Reports‎ > ‎

Killeagh Minor bows out after epic encounter.

posted 18 Nov 2013, 01:40 by Pro Killeagh Camogie

Castle road was our destination on Saturday last for the replay of the Co Minor semi-final against Glen Rovers. Little did we envisage this week game being even more dramatic than last week super game!

Ciara motherway gave us a dream start with a goal after four minutes of play. Shortly afterwards Hannah Looney pointed. Glen Rovers had the next three points, while if they did Leah Mcevoy had three for us, a free and two from play. Jessica Swayne made sure nothing got passed her, and her long clearance shots were well intercepted by Laura Treacy. Despite great play from Ellen Benaim and Gill O’Gorman scores just didn’t seem to come our way. The next three scores were frees taken by the Glen. This left us a point up at half time.

Glen Rovers tore into the second half and within a short while we went from being 1pt up to being 5pts down. The spirit of this great team got going yet again. Leah took a free and Ciara made sure it went all the way to the net. Laura pointed a long range shot. Chloe Sigerson drove some great ball up field. The Glen had their 10th point. Leah had 3 more to put us up a point but yet again the spirit of the Glen had one more to level the game. Our free on the stroke of time up was not allowed and for the second week we were in to extra time on a score of 2-8 to 1-11.


In the first half of extra time Glen Rovers had a 3 point reward for their play where as we had only 1. They had the first score of the next half as well. We were now 3points down. Zoe Mcevoy. was having a great game at corner back and she was well assisted by Elaine Terry and the ever reliable Niamh O’Farrell. This solid play was to have its reward. Though the glen pointed again we were still playing well and this hard work was rewarded when Sinead Landers passed a great ball to Ciara Motherway who made sure it went where we needed it !!!!. and so began our rally back. We were now within a point of the Glen again. The tension was unbelievable, I have never seen such a great bunch of girls on the bench, they shouted, they roared and constantly encouraged on their team mates. It was well rewarded with a point from Leah and believe it or not the whistle blew on yet another deadlock.

Another ten minutes to play in the hope of breaking the gridlock. Leah opened the scoring with a point. the Glen had 3 before the break. We resumed yet again, Captain fantastic Laura had a point to leaves us one behind but despite the heroic efforts of the girls that score never came. The final whistle blew and after 170 minutes of play we were beaten 1-19 to 3-12 just a single point between us. To say we were devastated would be an understatement but each and every girl from 1 to 21 can and should hold their head up high and be proud of  the fantastic effort they made over the past two days. Camogie at its very best

To Mattie J.P.and Brian many thanks for all the effort you put in with this great team over the year. Trisha and Dolores you were a great support to the lads and the girls, thank you.